I’ve painted a lot of figures in my gaming life, but I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed painting a batch of figures like Eureka’s 40mm Musketeer figs.
Just to be clear, these are the first 40’s I’ve ever painted before. They are modeled on the characters and dress from Richard Lester’s excellent The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers from the early 70’s. They are beautiful figures, incredibly well cast. They have lots of nice folds in the clothing, presenting lots of opportunities for shading.
Let’s start with the chief characters (note: I’m referring to the first 11 figures I painted, so the Musketeers, Rochefort and the Cardinals Guard, and a couple of identical tough guys.)
Each of the four musketeer figures bear a resemblance to their character from the movie. The difficult part is to make them interesting. For the most part they are clothed in black. They even lack the slashing, allowing their white shirts to pop through with a bit of contrast as they did in the movies. I did a lot of highlighting with a charcoal gray color. Wherever possible I used a light gray in shirt creases or in bits of lace, just to break up the monotonous black and white. Athos, Aramis and D’Artagnan are variations of this black and white theme. However Porthos, vain character that he was, had lots of gold lace and his belt was entirely gilded, except in the back, as you may recall. It was difficult to create suitable designs in the space available, so I did the best I could. Even so, Porthos was fun to paint.
Christopher Lee’s Count Rochefort is probably the most recognizable of the character figures, with its long hair and eye patch. I painted the figure with a Ceramcoat dark red figure so old I can no longer read the name on the bottle. The lace on the figure is well-formed and it’s easy to add a little bit of gray to help it stand out. In the movie Rochefort’s boots are almost exactly the same color as the rest of his red attire, but I decided to do a little something different, mixing the Ceramcoat red with a Ceramcoat Maroon. That gave me something a little bit different, but still similar. enough to give the sense that they were color coordinated.
The four different figures that are part of the Cardinal’s Guard are all painted a base of Vallejo Vermillion. These figures were very fun to paint. I lightened with Vermillion and white and darkened with Vermillion and Carmine Red, and they came out quite nicely. I also used the Carmine Red to “blackline around the gold edges and the crosses. The Vermillion is a bit bright, but it’s also easy to work with as a base color for shading.
The two “hired blade” figures are pretty straightforward, and I lavished the least attention on them. ‘Nuff said.
I probably have all the 40mm figures I plan to buy for this project. I did add all the remaining Eureka figures with the exception of Mr. Bonacieux. If I have any criticism of these miniatures it is that there aren’t more figures to flesh out the range. Some soldiers, a few beggars, a few more civilian types would really be nice additions. However, they are absolutely a hoot to paint, and I honestly believe they are my best efforts in at least a decade.
I’m taking a little break from these guys for now as I wrap the last 18 figures I need to finish up all my Vikings for SAGA, and my first handful of buildings for St. Nazaire. Then I’ll return and finish up the remaining 15 or so figures for this project.