Late Sunday night I was still struggling to get some stuff finished for the week, despite putting in a fair amount of painting time for the week. But, it finally happened.
Let’s be clear, I do have some busy distractions right now. In early October Lorri and I are going on vacation to Hawaii. We’re excited. We’ve never been there before, so it’s a big hoo-hah deal.
While we’re gone we are doing a major remodel at Chez Smyth. The remodel will require moving all the furniture out of the living room and dining room. We’re renting a POD to store furniture, but I have about 700 books and 300 records that will have to be packed so bookcases and record storage can be moved.
It’s a job. The benefit is that I’ve been able to weed out some of my books, which will create better storage for other books I’d like to move to more desirable places and creating a bit more storage for other things. Like miniatures.
But, I have gotten some painting done.
I completed my first mounted unit for Rebels and Patriots. I’ve long loved William Washington’s 3rd Continental Dragoons. They fight everywhere throughout the Southern Campaign. Washington, a cousin of that George guy, was a terrific leader. Even though his unit totaled less than a hundred men, they always seemed to be in the right place. At Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse, key counterattacks really turned the tide of those battles. Unfortunately, Washington’s luck ran out at Eutaw Springs when he led his cavalry into wooded ditch defended by British regulars. He was unhorsed and captured.
My figures are from Front Rank. I’ve had them for a while, and I’d like to start painting a lot of these stray figures. As will al Front Rank figures they are pleasingly chunky. If I have a quibble, it is that the troopers all have their carbines out, which I think is dumb. The British light dragoons don’t have their firearms out. They have swords, like any proper light dragoon. When Washington wounded Tarleton at Cowpens, trust me, he wasn’t slinging a musket stock.
I love the white coatee with blue facings. It is white, with Vallejo Light Blue Grey. I gave the officer white pants, the others have Vallejo Desert Yellow. I could have opted to do the coat in Vallejo Grey-White and done a bit more with highlighting, but I didn’t. I did highlight the horses, which left them a little lighter and redder than I would have liked. I also highlighted the horse furniture and I’m really happy with how that turned out.
The standard, called The Eutaw Flag was the one carried by the 3rd Continental Light Dragoons. It was made from the tablecloth of Washington’s fiancee. I hand-painted that baby, yessirree. Not a major strain, I assure you.
From here, I’ll pick up the continuing saga of the HMS Orwell. You’ll recall it is a plastic kit I was struggling a bit with.
After spraying it with Humbrol light grey, I took on the real paint job. Think of the spray as a primer coat.
First I painted all the decking with Ceramcoat Charcoal Gray. Then I went back and painted the hull and all the non-deck places Vallejo light sea grey. The camouflage, taken from an illustration of another O class destroyer, the Obedient was applied in Vallejo Black, and Vallejo Light Blue Grey. Yes, it was all done by hand, and no I didn’t use any kind of mask because I’m basically a lazy sluggard.
All that’s left to do is the decals and there aren’t many of those.
From here, it’s on to finish up some U.S. Volunteers in the Philippines, and I’ll begin assembling my remaining transports for the Museum of Flight convoy game.
Excellent progress, Kevin!
Say, I was rummaging through my lead pile looking for SAW Spanish to paint and came upon a partial bag of loose Old Glory Moros and Philippinos. I have no use for figures in that theater of the SAW. If you are interested, they are yours. If so, leave a comment at, https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com
and I will send them out.