With the Bladensburg project behind me, I’ve been working on the Spanish-American Project. To make it easy, lets just call it the Louisiana War. I’ve managed to acquire quite a few figures for this project, and I see myself putting most of 2014 working on them. I’m not quite sure how many figures I have, but I think when it’s all over it will be something like this:
6 X 10 Spanish regular infantry units
2 X 12 Spanish grenadier units
3 X 10 Spanish dismounted militia units
1 X 10 Spanish colonial dragoon units
3 X 10 Spanish mounted militia units
1 X 10 Mexican Hussar unit
2 X 10 mounted Comanche warriors (Spanish allies)
2 X 10 dismounted Comanche warriors (Spanish allies)
12 X 10 Chickasaw warriors
4 sections Spanish light artillery
2 sections Spanish heavy artillery
This is a lot of stuff, and quite a bit of it is painted, but very little, like none, of the Spanish horse is ready. The units provide the maximum flexibility for scenario making. Some would not be combined. For example, the Chickasaw would not be combined with the militia or the Comanches. In any case, there is plenty here to develop some scenarios. Spanish uniforms remain nominally the same for the entire period, except for the Mexican Hussars. It’s unclear this unit was ever raised to replace the frontier militia or Cuera soldiers. It was suggested, but it isn’t clear the proposal was ever adopted before Mexico gained her independence.
12 X 12 Regular Infantry
8 X 10 dismounted militia (included rifle armed)
2 X 10 U.S. Dragoons
3 X 10 mounted militia rifles
4 sections light artillery.
Americans are pretty much same-same regardless of when or where they fight. There are some serious changes that occur throughout this period 1797-1810. After the Treaty of Greenville that ends the Indian campaign in the Northwest Territories, the army economizes. The light infantry and light battalions go away. The uniforms stay roughly the same for the regular infantry throughout the period, keeping red facings only, and the colorful designations of the sub-legions going away. The army organizes the infantry into three regiments, downsized to two during the Jefferson administration (1801). The light dragoons likewise retain their colors until Secretary of War Alexander Hamilton designs them a new uniform in 1797. Their uniforms, issued in 1798, are green. Green. GREEN. With black facings and yellow lace. Go figure. They retain these uniforms until Jefferson disbands the dragoons altogether in 1801. Rifle units are re-introduced to the army in the latter part of this period, but their uniforms are odd, so I’ll likely avoid them.
I’ve included some photos of some of my newly painted units. These are the green-coated American dragoons I mentioned. the lighting for these photos was poor, so I apologize for their darkness. The are the Wayne’s Legion dragoons by Old Glory. They do quite nicely. I used German Luftwaffe Camo Green as the base color. It’s a lighter green than the picture shows. The flag is all hokum. Nobody knows what a U.S. dragoon flag looks for this period. The earliest recorded U.S. cavalry flag following the Revolution is for a militia dragoon flag in 1819, and seems unlike most other cavalry flags. Thankfully you can’t see it in the dark. I went with a mid blue flag with scroll work similar to War of 1812 infantry battalions in red. It’s possible I’m just wasting my time doing a flag at all, but one of the figures does carry a pole for a flag. I actually really like the way these turned out.
These two units represent the grenadier company and a fusilier company from the Luisiana Regiment. This was a trained, disciplined militia unit raised in the New World. They are RSM figures cast under license by the Dayton Painting Consortium. They are simple, straightforward units, as most Spanish units are. They tend to be white, usually with colored facings, waistcoats and trousers. The Spanish militia in North America were chronically understrength. My regiment will consist of four companies including a grenadier company that is a bit larger than the fusiliers. The Lusianans are now complete. The next regiment will be a mix of two companies from the Irish Hibernian Regiment in their red regimentals and two companies from another militia unit.
I’ve primed my first mounted militia unit. I plan to complete it during the Christmas break. I’ll post photos when I’m finished.